The Importance of Goal Setting
Setting goals is one way to stay organized, keep a pulse on how things are going and help you make decisions along the way. It also feels good to see those goals are checked off that list!
Goal setting is critical for developing any type of business, managing a group of people or a company. Like a business plan, the goals you create are the road map and foundation for the development of your business. They require constant re-evaluation, updates and actions.
Tips to goal setting:
- Visualize the goals you want to achieve.
- Write them down.
- Create goals that are measurable and attainable.
- Set attainable goals in all areas of your business like: product, marketing, operations, start-up expenses, and business development.
- Create a target deadline for the goal to be achieved.
- Be sure and give yourself credit for what you are accomplishing.
- Be gentle with yourself about the things that you haven’t accomplished yet.
- Review goals and revise as necessary. Make this a part of your daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual projects.
Tip: Some people use “models” as a formula to generate ideas and set goals. Below is a popular one, I’m sure you’ve heard of:
Example of a the “SMART” model to use for goal setting:
Write out a sample goal sheet using the SMART model. Pick one area of your business you’d like to focus on. Write out the goals in that area based on the SMART model. Keep this close to your business plan, to refer to it and change it as needed. Now try it for other areas of your business.
To-Do List Formula: A Stress-Free Guide to Creating To-Do Lists That Work!
Goals, how to get everything you want – -faster than you ever thought possible –Brian Tracy
How to develop a success mindset, Brian Tracy
One-step-at-a-time-goal achieving cartoon doodle video
5 Goal Setting Activities
How to set goals for your business:
Setting and accomplishing your biggest goals: